Tips to Prevent Costly Plumbing Repairs
Category: Latest Articles
It's easy to take your homes plumbing for granted but by taking investing a little of your time in day to day maintenance of this important part of your home, you'll save yourself from potentially costly repair work when things go wrong.
Your plumbing infrastructure is such a vital part of your home and it represents a significant percentage of the value of your property so it really pays to take care of it. Our tips and tricks show you very simple ways to protect your investment.
Here are our top 10 tips:
- As soon as your taps or toilet start to leak, take care of them. By letting them continue to drip you're not only wasting water, you may end up doing damage to the fittings themselves.
- Be on the lookout for weird smells from your drains which may mean you have a blockage. By dealing with potential blockages before they get bad you'll potentially save yourself the extra costs associated sewerage spills and flooding.
- When cleaning drains, avoid using liquid drain cleaner chemicals which are rarely effective and can cause serious damage to your plumbing fixtures, not to mention the dangers of using caustic products inside your house. Your best bet is the gold old fashioned plunger.
- Avoid pouring hot water down your toilet in an attempt to clean it. This could cause cracks in the porcelain which means you're up for a buying a new one.
- Keep your gutters, stormwater grates and downpipes free from build up to avoid rusting and to make sure they can function properly when the rains get heavy
- Have your hot water system serviced every 3 years. Doing this catches small issues before they can get worse and extends the life of your system.
- Don't over-tighten taps when turning off as this can cause the washer to split which results in running taps.
- Check for leaks you can't see by noting the number on your water meter, then doing it again a couple of hours later, WITHOUT using any water in the interim. If the number has changed, you might have a hidden leak.
- If you have flexible hosing under any of your sinks, replace them every 5 years to avoid cracks or wear and tear causing leaks and potential flooding.
- Be smart about gardening. Know where the pipes and drains are on your property and don't plant anything with a larger root system nearby to prevent the roots damaging the pipes.
There you have it, 10 simple tips and tricks that you can start today to avoid larger issues in the future.
If you already have a problem, Laser Plumbing are here to help and can show you how to maintain any repair work that we undertake so you don't have the same problem again.